2012 brought about great ambition with biting off a little more than I could chew. While anticipating the arrival of our little girl, I underestimated how much time and energy I would need to craft or knit. With that said, here’s the tally
-Create 5 patterns (only 2 being dishcloths) -2 completed
-Knit each family member a Christmas gift -I nixed this in June
-Complete 15 projects -11 completed
While I didn’t complete all my goals, I definitely made strives towards them. I’m happy with what I was able to accomplish, especially since I was able to introduce a few new skills and creative endeavors into my repertoire.
This year, I would like to create at least 3 patterns, knit Christmas gifts for at least 5 family members, and complete at least 15 projects. I’m due in June so I have a feeling most of these will get finished before then! Another goal I would like to accomplish is knitting a few projects for baby Kramer. We found out this past Friday we’re having a boy, so I’d like to knit some hats, booties, and such for him.
Since I last posted, I’ve started a few and completed a few projects. I finished knitting the Peapod Nagini and love it! It’s a great size to throw in the diaper bag and large enough to hold a wallet, keys, and essentials. After using the bag, I realized it must be lined. I was hoping to get around that because I have yet to figure out how to line a purse properly (YouTube here I come!), but unfortunately, that’s just not a possibility. The bottom stretches completely down whenever anything is placed inside.
After I received my newest Knit Simple Magazine last summer, I saw that there was a KAL with Vickie Howell for an adorable beanie. I made the Skull Version for Andy out of Sheep(ISH) in Gun Metal(ISH) and the Slouchy version for myself in Sheep(ISH) in Plum(ISH). They were both quick knits and I’m totally in love with them!
While on vacation in September, Kristi came across Caron’s Simply Soft Party yarn in a fun pink and turquoise colors and immediately begged to have a scarf made out of them. I’m using the Kudo Waves Scarf pattern from Plymouth Yarn Studio and it’s turning out amazingly well.
I’m about 55% finished and hope to have it finished by the end of this month.
I also started a pair of socks out of the Serenity Garden yarn that’s been sitting in my stash. They’re turning out very pretty and are knitting up pretty quickly. You can check them out here.
As for my non-knitting endeavors in 2012, I didn’t have many more than those posted earlier this year. For Christmas, I decided to make a homemade gifts for all the ladies in my family and a few close friends. I made a homemade spa kit including lotion, lip gloss, bath salts, a heating pad, and microfiber facial scrubber (that I didn’t make). I found most of the ideas on Pinterest (one of my new loves). The most expensive part of the whole project was the containers to put everything in. I bought 8 oz/150 ml jars for the lotion and small jelly jars (4 oz) for the bath salts. I used some leftover fabric and rice to make the heating pads. Here are links to the tutorials:
Lotion – I used lavender scented baby lotion found at Dollar General (I actually prefer this to Baby Magic or the Great Value brands) and 3.75 ounces of solid coconut oil that I found at Dollar General. Using less coconut oil than called for in the original recipe made it less greasy IMHO. I also love the way the lavender, vitamin E cream, and coconut oil smell together and the lotion feels great!
Bath salts: Instead of using regular epsom salts, I used lavender scented ones, thus eliminating the need for essential oils. These turned out great! They smell wonderful (very powerful out of the jar means a nice aroma at bath time) and are so easy to make!
Heating Pad: I used rice instead of lentils and made mine smaller. Also, instead of putting all the rice in at one time, I did it section by section and used pins to block off the rice when sewing. When I attempted my first one, I didn’t like how large it was and I had a devil of a time trying to sew each section without getting the rice caught under the needle. I found that doing it section by section allows for each section to be perfectly even with the others. I did not add any scent to the rice because I know from personal experience that what I think smells good or awful will be the exact opposite of someone else. I used card stock and ribbon around the jar lids and made directions tags which included the ingredients. Here’s the finished product, minus wrapping:
I’m going to do a separate post later in a tutorial-type fashion for how I did each part.
My next endeavor will be to make some bibs for Trin and new baby out of old t-shirts. I have a whole bag of Andy’s nicer ones that he no longer wears.
Well that’s about it for now. Until next time, much love and many blessings!