Leg Warmers…Really??

Until yesterday, I had no idea the real reason people used leg warmers (especially on babies) except to be “stylish”. I see now that many moms decide to use them with their CD LO’s. Since the beginning of winter, I’ve had issues with Trin’s pants not fitting over her CD’s, especially jeans. I’ve been purchasing pants a size larger in order to accommodate her adorable bum but then the legs are ridiculously long. Lately, I’ve been noticing that her WolbyBug covers (my favs) are really digging into her legs no matter how I adjust the hip snap or rise and it’s much worse when she wears pants. So after doing some research yesterday, I decided to knit her and Harrison some leg warmers. I found a great and simple pattern on Ravelry called Woolies that is sized from newborn to 24 months. Obviously the pattern gods made this perfectly for me! I started with Vickie Howell’s Sheep(ISH) yarn that I had leftover from Andy and I’s hats but soon realized that I wouldn’t have enough in the Plum(ISH) color. I thought about possibly striping it with the Gun Metal(ISH) but that seemed daunting and the more I knit, the more I realized that they would end up being way too big, even after adjusting my needle size. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to use the Araucania yarn that has been sitting in my stash for about 2 years. I’ve knit about 3 of 14 total inches so far and am in love!


In order to accommodate the lighter weight yarn, I had to adjust my needles to a US 5. You can check out my project page and notes here.

One of my goals is to knit more items for new baby, a.k.a. Harrison. I purchased a skein of ONline Supersocke 4-fach to knit a friend a pair of socks for his toe-shoes only to realize that no matter what pattern I found, this yarn wouldn’t work. Andy’s not particularly a fan of knitted socks and striping so it’s been sitting in my basket looking very lonely. I’ve been a little hesitant to knit Harrison socks because when I tried this last time for Trin, the sock didn’t fit. I was totally bummed because I did a gauge swatch and everything “right”. The only thing I can think of is I somehow messed up my stitch count. Anyway… I’ve started on the cuff and so far it seems okay. I love that Judy Kaethler’s Cozy Little Toes pattern has a long cuff, which is surprising in and of itself because I usually dislike crew socks, with a passion. Even with the longer cuff, these will definitely be a quick knit and I’m planning to make at least 4 or 5 pairs by the end of March.

After we found out about Harrison’s sex, I started looking into boy cloth diaper covers. I found a fantastic review on Zephyr Hill blog and couldn’t help but fall in love with all the adorable prints. There are so many options when not going the commercial route and it got me thinking. I’d really like to try my hand at making some covers for Trin and Harrison. I’m a novice sewer at best so I’m not sure that this is going to be the best project for me to try but I did find some really helpful tutorials online. One of them is to use FOE to “finish” the diaper and I honestly love the way it looks!

That’s all I have ATM so until next time, much love and many blessings!




Leave a comment

Filed under DIY, Knitting, Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s