My First Sewing Endeavor

I made my first attempt at sewing since middle school. When Andy and I were looking for a crib set for Trinity awhile back we found one that we really liked at Babies R’ Us. The problem is that the set costs almost $200 which I find pretty ridiculous. So I decided to sew the bumpers myself. I found a Simplicity pattern for nursery items and got the fabric, batting, ribbons from Jo-Ann Fabrics on sale. The fabric I found perfectly matched the crib sheet and valance that my mom purchased for her for Christmas so I was really excited to get started on it. I borrowed my sister’s sewing machine and sat down to start. I took one look at it and couldn’t figure out what to do first. I know I needed to thread the bobbin but couldn’t figure out where the bobbin went. Then, after figuring that out, I got everything else threaded, the fabric cut, and started to “sew”. Needless to say, it wasn’t working. So after 45 minutes of frustration and looking through the manual to see what I was doing wrong, I finally called my sister. I found out that I had everything right except the thread was not threaded properly (it’s supposed to be back to front and I had it the opposite way so it kept coming out when trying to sew). Smh… It took me 2 days to do the first of the two long bumpers. Once I got the hang of it, it only took me a day to finish the rest of them. I have to admit that I was pretty proud of how well they turned out. I’m not going to win any awards or anything but for my first project, they’re pretty awesome!

One thing I do love about these bumpers is that they’re reversible.

My next FO is an adorable crochet hat for Trinity to come home in. The pattern didn’t call for a hook size so I experimented with the ones I have on hand. I started with a G and that was too small so I went to an H. That was still too small and the only other size I have is a K. That one would have been too big but I just eliminated the last increase row and it worked perfectly. I used Bernat Softee Baby in pink for the hat and white and mint green for the flower. I can’t wait to put it on her!

So ending the month on a goal note:

  • I’ve designed 1 of 5 patterns
  • I have 2 of 15 FO’s

Not a bad way to start 2012 if I do say so myself!

Much love and blessings,

♥Courtney♥

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Crochet, DIY, FO's, Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s